It is fall and at the time of writing this post, Thanksgiving is just a few days away! Oh how time flies. If you’re going to a family function for Thanksgiving this year or even if you’re just wanting something yummy and season appropriate, the sweet potato casserole is the perfect addition to the table. If you’re like us, this is both a dessert and a side dish (sometimes breakfast ha!)
Sweet Potato Casserole
- Large Pot
- 3½ cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour (Pillsbury works best)
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Peel and slice and wash sweet potatoes. Place in large pot and boil until tender. Drain water from pot. Mash sweet potatoes until there are no lumps left.
- To the mashed sweet potatoes, add in sugar, 3 Tbsp of butter, salt, vanilla, milk, and eggs. Mix until combined. Pour into greased pan.
- Create the topping by combining light brown sugar, flour, 5 Tbsp cold butter, and chopped pecans. Sprinkle over top of casserole. Bake at 300° for approximately 30 minutes or until the topping is brown.